10/23/10

The Soup Enigma

As I said two days ago there's nothing like gloomy weather with winter in the offing to put one in the mood for soup.  It seems that if you're not feeling quite right it can affect your ability to cook.  Seriously!  Having gone out yesterday to get the ingredients I was missing to make minestrone today, I was not going to let a little bit of feeling under the weather deter me.  I'd finally decided on two recipes as general guides.  They were different from what I normally do.  Now, I should preface this by saying I'm not a great cook but a reasonably good one however I make really good soups.  Until today.

Having spent 2-1/2 hours chopping and browning and simmering, I sat down to a bowl of minestrone sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.  Totally disappointing.  I'd tasted as I went and somewhere along the line the taste went awry.  I don't know if it was the rind of Parmesan cheese that one recipe suggested adding or the 6" sprig of fresh rosemary from the other recipe.  But something was definitely off.  So I added a little chicken bullion crystals to perk the flavor up.  Nothing.  Added 3-4 t. of sundried tomatoes in a tube for some depth.  Nothing.  Some Trader Joe's Pasta Seasoning.  Nothing.  So I removed the wilted rind and rosemary and let it simmer.  Nothing.  Deciding it was just tasting it on a wooden spoon, I ladled up a bowl and sat down to eat.  Nothing.  It tasted blah.  Maybe it was the Napa cabbage or the frozen green beans and spinach.  I just couldn't eat it.  I was flabbergasted.  Soups just don't fail so blatantly!  But this one did, which is why I won't bother writing the final recipe up.

Feeling off, really goofed this soup up, or was it combining 2 recipes?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home