8/20/11

It's Always Something...

The day before yesterday, I was sitting at my desk with my little Macbook in front of me, minding my own business when the universe decided to intervene and give me something new to fret about. Very rarely do I have any food or liquids by my computer, but that day I had a tall glass of ice water sitting about a foot from my Mac.

A sneeze suddenly came over me and I grabbed a kleenex only to have my little finger catch the rim of the almost full glass which fell all over my desk and keyboard. EEEK! I immediately flipped my Mac upside down to let the water drain out. Ran to the kitchen for paper towels to sop everything up. I then used canned air to spray the water out of the keyboard.

I put some paper towels on the keyboard, closed the machine and let it sit upside down in hopes all the liquid would seep out. Well, as my father used to say "if wishes were horses, beggars would ride". Maybe not politically correct, but the gist of this old saying fit my predicament.

Nothing I tried could raise my Mac from the dead. The poor machine just made horrid high pitched beeping noises that drove Blue barking-crazy. So this post comes to you from my friend's PC. She's letting me borrow it today. I also checked online for new computers but since I had no intention of buying a new one in the remote future, I'm not up on what's out there.

You may not realize it but having a dead TV and now a deceased computer is shocking. I've felt totally cut off from the world! I actually had to use an old paper "yellow pages" book to get a phone number I needed. How prehistoric! Also, no TV shows in the evening or music (dead iPod also) or blogs or email. Total isolation. It's the weirdest feeling.

I'm shocked that so much of my life revolves around the computer. Funny, how subtlety a habit or in this case technology can sneak in and become embedded in your life. Another old saying goes, "you don't know what you got till it's gone". How true, how true.

P.S. For whatever reason, the quotes in the right hand column no longer are in a script font. I have no idea why and probably won't get to the solution till I solve my computer dilemma. As Gilda Radner said, "It's always something..." and she was so right.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home