8/3/11

Salsa and Ceviche Post

Cruising some of my favorite blogs this morning in the lovely overcast light of the day, I ran across Jerry's blog again, Cooking By the Seat of My Pants. He posted his recipe for Pico de Gallo also known as Salsa Fresca. It immediately reminded me of my version of Salsa or Pico de Gallo which I synthesized  from my Ceviche recipe. It's extremely light and fresh tasting.

Haven't made it in ages and this post has suddenly whet my appetite. It's perfect for hot weather and can be constructed in increments so I'm not daunted by too much kitchen time. It's so good that I've eaten it with crackers or bruschetta for a main course. Sometimes accompanied by a few Lucques or Provencal olives. The Provencal olives are available in bulk at Whole Foods. Pitted and swimming in Herbs de Provence with olive oil. Little droplets of heaven.

Yesterday I came across a few articles about foods to eat in hot weather to keep one's cool. Interestingly, they advised against ice cream since it takes more energy to digest and thus heats up one's body. The articles listed meals of fruits, salads, legumes and veggies which contain a high percentage of water thus require less energy to digest. They also suggested skipping beef (lots of energy needed to process). Contrary to what one would think the articles recommended eating spicy foods. Personally, I won't be hitting the hot peppers any time soon, but you can bet the next time I go to the store I'll be picking up the ingredients for this dish. Promise I'll take pics of the final product.

So here's my simple little salsa recipe which is looking pretty good right now.

Christine's Simple Salsa
6 - 2" tomatoes peeled, seeded and diced
1 onion diced finely
1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 c. freshly squeezed orange juice (see note below*)
11.5 pz. (1 can) tomato juice
1/2 c. chopped cilantro

Optional:
1/3 c. fresh oregano leaves, chopped slightly
1 bay leaf
jalapenos to taste (I never use them)

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, tossing them together. Cover and refrigerate. Will keep in the fridge for several days (if you can restrain yourself).
*Note:  try to use Valencia juice oranges vs. Navels. Juice from Navels can turn slightly bitter after a few hours.

Since I mentioned it, here's my Ceviche recipe. It's equally yummy.

Ceviche
1 lb. very fresh swordfish
2/3 c. freshly squeezed lime juice
4 tomatoes peeled, seeded and diced
1 onion, finely diced
1/3 c. olive oil
1/2 c. freshly squeezed orange juice
1 c. tomato juice
1/3 c. fresh oregano leaves, chopped finely
1 bay leaf
1/4 -1/3 c. chopped cilantro
2 t. chopped jalapeno peppers (I never add these)
1/2 c. small green olives with or without stones
Salt & Pepper

Skin the swordfish, remove bones. Dice the filet into 1/4" cubes and marinate in lime juice for 4-6 hours. Marinating in the acidic lime juice actually "cooks" the fish. Just don't leave it too long or the swordfish will turn to mush. After fish has been marinated, place in a non-reactive strainer, discarding the juices. Place fish and all remaining ingredients in a bowl and toss. Cover and refrigerate. Keeps for 2-3 days in my experience. Serve in a large bowl or small individual ones with crackers and/or bruschetta.

Enjoy in the shade with a lemonade or glass of viognier.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home