8/23/11

Pickles and Peas Post

You'll perhaps remember my post a while back on the cost of Le Seuer canned peas in 2011 vs. 1994. Well, get ready...I passed a can of those little green balls in Albertson's and the cost had risen from $2.19 to $2.59 in less than one and one-half months! That's $2.00 higher than 1994.
While shopping, I picked up a jar of Claussen kosher dill pickle spears, not looking at the price 'cause how much can pickles cost? I mean, really. Well, even the guy at the checkout looked at the price that rung up and commented. $4.59! We looked at each other in astonishment. Pickles used to be a "cheap" food. I still bought them, but they will now be a once-in-a-blue-moon treat and I won't be woofing down three at a time any more either.

This is on top of noticing prices on pre-made salads like potato salad, coleslaw and macaroni salad at the deli counter, going from $1.99/lb. (1.38Euros/.5kg) to $3.99/lb. (2.76E/.5kg) in a matter of three months!
I really don't know how people afford eating. Reading an article on the internet yesterday, it stated there was a 74% increase in people in the U.S. on food stamps. No wonder.

I've always thought that counting on the government for assistance was for the truly destitute, but quite frankly, I'm contemplating it more and more lately.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home