10/31/11

Boo and Bang Post

Today is one of my least favorite holidays of the year. As I mentioned a few posts ago, after 6 p.m. (official hours here are 3-6 p.m.) on Halloween, I turn off all my lights because I'm not going to open the door once it's dark. Especially when there've been a number of gang related shootings within three blocks of where I live.

I'm sorry, but I've lived in LA for 30 years and never heard a gunshot. The first time, was right across the street in front of the apartment building. I though it was holiday fire crackers going off. I looked out the front door and the guy living behind me had run out front and yelled "call 911, gunshots". Welcome to the "hood", I guess.

Every year though, I still buy a bag of candy for the early birds. The little kids who show up when it's still light. After Halloween is over, I'm always left with over three quarters of a bag that I don't know what to do with. Last year, I saw the neighbors across the street get into their van with the three boys and ran over. I handed the wife my bag of candy which she quickly squirreled into the purse at her feet with a look of "don't let the boys see this, please" desperation on her face.

Okay, I got the idea...major sugar rush trapped in the van for a trip. I'd hide it too! Lol! Just then her husband got into the van having seen what I was holding and excitedly said "oh boy, Snickers". She gave him a frosty, withering glare. It was hysterical! Luckily, the kids were all strapped in the back and didn't see any of this exchange occur.

This year I'm not sure if I'll bother buying any candy. Problem is I normally spend most of my evenings in the front bedroom where my computer is. Since my iPod croaked, I can't hole up in the back bedroom and listen to podcasts like I've done in previous years. Not quite sure what to do.

Perhaps move a chair into the kitchen which is in the back and read a book by flashlight? Problem is Blue. He'll bark every time anyone walks up the front walk, much less rings the bell. Very zealous little  watch Corgi :)  So not quite sure what will happen. If I had money to burn, I'd go buy a cheap laptop or perhaps a DVD player and sit in the bedroom watching movies. But I don't.

I know this sounds insane to most reading this, but somehow, if you live with someone or until you've learned to recognize a gunshot from a fire cracker going off (innocence lost), you just may never understand. Lucky you. Boo!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home