12/8/10

Wine Country Chicken Salad

I don't know if there's a Trader Joe's near you, but if there is, definitely try their Wine Country Chicken Salad...it is to die for (at least in my book). As a child, my mom made Waldorf salad every now and then which I hated. So I've grown up with this belief that fruits, nuts and vegetables do not belong in the same dish. I also don't care for sweet and sour things.


A few years ago, I was invited to lunch at a friend's and she served a turkey salad with lettuce, walnuts and dried cranberries topped with a raspberry vinaigrette. I tried it and to my astonishment, it was really good! Since then I've gotten over my dislike of mixing fruits with vegetables, nuts and meat (sweet and sour is still on my "no thank you, I'll pass" list). Amazing how one experience can prejudice someone so completely.


But back to this chicken salad. It's made with chicken, pecans, dried cranberries, celery, poppy seeds and mayo. Being on a budget, I just can't justify spending $3.99 on a small container of the salad, no matter how much I think (on certain days) that it will "just hit the spot". It really, REALLY is difficult to pass it by in the store and not grab a tub.


Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks this is a delectable treat. When I Googled it, I found the recipe on many sites as well as references as to how tasty it is. After looking at them, I realized they're almost all the same recipe. I picked this link because it also has a recipe for  Chicken Apricot Salad. 


This weekend, I'm going to make a batch following the recipe exactly. The next time I make it, I'll try to cut it in half because I really don't need 5 to 6 cups just for me. Not that I couldn't eat it all quite easily if it was there in front of me, I just don't want to gain a ton over the winter. 


Oh, and to make it really simple, I'll use TJ's "Just Chicken". It's a pound of pre-cooked, cut up chicken breast all ready to go and you can't beat the taste. I'll let you know how it turns out.


(No affiliation, just in love with this salad!)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home