1/2/11

Day Two

Yesterday, January 1, 2011. From my back yard.
Want to bet that it'll be 12/30/11 and I'll be looking back on this day wondering where the heck the year went? I wonder though if I'll regard it like I did 2008, 2009 and 2010? I was so glad to be done with those years. It's my New Year's wish that 2011 will prove to be a lot easier on us all! It is, after all, the year of the Bunny!

We can only be beaten up by the economy for so long before the spirit breaks. In my humble opinion, I still believe this was/is a depression, the government just covered it up with all kinds of distractions like bail outs and printing more money. They keep trying to declare the "recession" over, but I don't know a living soul who would agree with that.

Well, wasn't that just a nasty little wad of negativity?

I've been looking around at some of my favorite blogs to see how people are addressing the New Year and the concept of making resolutions. I think my favorite approach, the one that makes the most sense and is realistic is Laurie Perry's aka "Crazy Aunt Purl". This year she picked "Possibilities". I think having a conceptual word that can be applied to one's overall approach to living makes sense.

I've been reading Laurie's blog for years and always enjoy it. Her style of writing is very engaging. And there are a few parallels between our lives, divorce being one of them. Seeing her get through the joys and sorrows has helped me realize that "it can get better".

Normally I don't make resolutions, or at least, haven't in quite a few years, being happy just to survive. But quite a few people are taking an approach similar to Laurie's, like Tracey Buxton of "Notes From A  Cottage Industry" who chose the word "Balance". Actually, I have divorce in common with her too.

It's seems like some of the blogs I'm drawn to are those written by women who have grown stronger despite adversity. They give me inspiration and since this divorce has been dragging on for four years and six months, I need all the inspiration I can get.

Another concept I've noticed is to "simplify", "divest", "down-size". In general to embrace the concept of "less is more". (Ludwig Mies van der Rohe {1886-1969} practiced this in his architectural design.) This is something I have difficulty with for some reason. So maybe that should be my word/phrase for 2011. Less Is More. Applies to a lot of subjects, both physical and mental.

Though, based on my second paragraph in today's post, maybe I need to include something about looking at the positive rather than the negative so much. LOL!

Speaking of positive, once again the Pasadena Rose Parade eluded the on-coming rain. Here are two photos  of what incredibly blue skies we had yesterday.
I mean, is this blue or is this BLUE?!
It's days like this that make up for today's gloomy rain and temperatures over 100F (37.8C) in late October!

Have to go do some things in the kitchen or dinner will never happen. Oh, last night's raw beef sandwiches were delicious beyond words! I'm always so amazed when just a few simple ingredients can make something so good!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home