5/15/11

Thoughts and Coleslaw Post

Looking back, I noticed the number of "views" of my blog has been shrinking. I know my posting has been a tad on the negative side lately. While I'm sorry for that, I have to remind myself that this blog is really for me. It's a place to record what goes on in the life I'm currently navigating alone. Sometimes I just don't feel really all that positive. Yet in the long run, I want to look back and see where I was and how far, if at all, I've come. Without this type of reference, I really can't hope to get anywhere mentally or physically.

So, I've decided for every less than glowing post, I'll try to add a positive one. Sort of a version of a gratitude journal. If one never stops and thinks of what they're grateful for, all one will eventually be surrounded with is "what went wrongs". So to that end, I'm going to throw in a few of my favorite recipes, maybe add some new photos and try to get my act together by going through some of the treasures sitting dormant in the recesses of this rental.

It's amazing how many things I've "just had to have" over the years and now that my life has taken the turn it has, I look at them, still loving them because they are so wonderful, but wondering is this or that still of use to me? Most often the answer is no. If I had a bigger living space, money and so on, the story might be different, but I'm "here" now and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Getting back to trying to feel grateful, I want to share a recipe with you that I just love. It's easy, reasonably inexpensive for the amount of food you get and perfect for upcoming barbecues. It was developed by a person I used to know, derived from two different recipes (I've tried to find these recipes over the years but to no avail). The first was the Original Pantry Restaurant Coleslaw (from a well known and loved eatery in LA) and the second was one from Carolina in an old issue of Bon Appetit (circa 1980's-'90's). What makes it so delicious is the barbeque sauce, something not usually found in most coleslaws.

Ingredients:
1 large head of cabbage, finely shredded
3/4 c. mayonnaise
3 T. sugar (may be adjusted to taste)
6 T. cider vinegar
6 T. bottled barbeque sauce (Masterpiece, KC, etc.)
1/3 c. oil (olive, corn or canola)
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. onion powder
1/4 t. dry mustard 
1/4 t. celery salt
Dash of black pepper
1 t. lemon juice (fresh if possible)
1/2 c. half and half

Blend together all ingredients in bowl and pour over shredded cabbage. Chill for at least one hour. Serve.

I've found this can serve 8-10 people as a side dish as long as no one wants "seconds" which is rare. For a little color, add carrot shavings. Other thoughts:  if the head of cabbage I have is less than 6" in diameter, I cut back a little on the sugar, cider vinegar and barbeque sauce. I'll let it sit, covered in the fridge and then taste for flavor after an hour, altering accordingly.

I've found when I make this, it's hard to resist making a meal of it with a little chicken on the side. Enjoy!

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Foodiewife said...

Don't get caught up the number of views game. I'm speaking from personal experience. You are so right, in that this is your own personal blog. Be yourself. A few tips, if you don't mind my sharing-- visiting other blogs, and leaving meaningful comments (as you did on mine) tends to have that blogger reciprocate. It's called "developing relationships". You take great photos! By taking photos of your recipes, you are bound to get more followers. We food bloggers are so visual. Your garden photos are lovely.
Last, you might consider starting a Facebook Fan Page. I love "liking" FB pages, so I can stay on top of what my friends are posting.
You're doing great! I followed you, didn't I?

5/22/11, 4:34 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Thanks so much for the tips Debby! I really appreciate them. Funny you mention visiting other blogs and leaving comments, because just lately, that's what I've been doing...expanding my normally viewed favs to see what's out there and then when I find something I like, leaving a comment. I love how so many people can get to know each other! Thank you for the kind words about my photos, I do need photos of my recipes, just have to work on getting to know my camera better for indoor shots. Haven't quite figured out Facebook yet, yes, not a tech wiz here. Lol! Will have to check into that more. Again, thanks so much for visiting and the helpful hints! I do appreciate all the help I can get and value developing friendships!

5/22/11, 5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home