9/4/11

Reading List Post

As promised, today's post is a reading list. It's not a long list. I don't read tons of books so when I do, I want something that grabs hold of me, wrapping me in it's story so that I never want it to end. The books listed all go beyond that to the rarified realm of "I'm going to read that again". Something that not many books accomplish.

One of my favorite authors is Isabel Allende. Her biography is impressive. She was born in Peru, grew up in Chile and now lives in the U.S. The timeline of her life is remarkable, she's done so much in her 69 years. I've read most of her books but my two favorites are "Daughter of Fortune" (click on the link for a summary) and "Portrait in Sepia"(click on the link for a summary).



Next is "The Eight" by Katherine Neville. It "features two intertwined storylines set centuries apart. The first takes place in 1972 and follows American computer expert Catherine “Cat” Velis as she is sent to Algeria for a special assignment. The second is set in 1790 and revolves around Mireille, a novice nun at Montglane Abbey. The fates of both characters are intertwined as they try to unravel the mystery behind the Montglane Service, a chess set that holds the key to a game of unlimited power".



Lastly we have "The Mists of Avalon" by Marion Zimmer Bradley. A refreshing version of Arthur's court. It's novel since it's "the Arthurian legends written from a woman's point of view".

All are stories based on history and involve strong women, I think that's why I liked them. Enjoy!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home