It's really nice. Under recipes I have set up files for "Baking", "Beef", "Chicken, eggs, etc.", "Drinks", "Fish", "Fruits", "Lamb, curries, etc", well you get the idea. I love it, no more oddball pieces of paper to corral! And I can paste a photo onto the recipe, something that never happens with scraps of paper. I started doing this when I made a cookbook in 1992 to give to family and friends for Christmas. Then I slacked off and years went by. About 2 years ago, I took the cookbook files and as I sort through the forest of papers that has become my life, I type up any recipes that surface and scan the pics into the computer, then toss the paper. It's quite freeing and is fabulous when you want a recipe...no more digging through piles of paper and magazines!
Now there still are some glitches in my system, such as when I'm developing a recipe. I wind up with a collection of print outs from recipe sites and then take the most common ingredients used across all plus a few extra things I think might work. I make notes all over them as I go about what to try in the next batch. Till I finalize it, it doesn't go in the computer.
It seems that's the fate of my rub recipe which I've been futzing with for about 8 months now. It is not in my file!!! Eek! I just about "had" it down! (Minor hissy fit here...) Drats! Okay, well I won't be sharing the rub "in the works" with you today. Suffice it to say, it's a better system than before, but still needs some tweaking.
Labels: In the Kitchen